Key Findings Details
The Displacement Effect of Public Pensions on the Accumulation of Financial Assets
Michael Hurd, Pierre-Carl Michaud and Susann Rohwedder
- The generosity of public pension systems affects both private saving rates and the timing of retirement.
- Our study of 12 countries shows that generous public pensions depress lifetime asset accumulation.
- For every dollar of pension wealth, financial assets are reduced by 23 to 44 cents.
- Higher public pension levels also induce earlier retirement.
- Retirement comes one month earlier for every $10,000 of pension wealth.